Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Blu-ray Review: MICROWAVE MASSACRE (1983)


http://mvdb2b.com/s/MicrowaveMassacreBlurayDVD/AV062MICROWAVE MASSACRE
Directed by 
Distributed by Arrow Films / MVD Entertainment Group

  Finally!  I have always heard of MICROWAVE MASSACRE, but trying to get my hands on a copy of it was extremely hard to do!  The DVD was out of print for a long time, so copies were extremely pricey.  Luckily, the great folks at Arrow Video have released this film on an amazing Blu-ray/DVD combo pack!    For those not familiar with the film, here is the basic plot from the MVD website:

 THEY CAME FOR DINNER...TO FIND THEY WERE IT!! Microwave Massacre stars legendary stand-up comedian and actor Jackie Vernon as Donald, a disgruntled construction worker whose wife's predilection for haute cuisine drives him to cannibalism. Donald unwittingly stumbles upon a solution to his two major problems in his life - his nagging wife and his lack of tasty meals - when, one night, he bludgeons his better half to death with a pepper grinder in a drunken rage. Thinking on his feet, Donald dismembers the body and sets about microwaving the remains, which turn out to be rather delicious. Trouble is, now he's got a taste for human flesh that needs satisfying... Eschewing all notions of good taste, Wayne Berwick's Microwave Massacre is a deliciously depraved exercise in political incorrectness that has gone on to gain a cult following thanks to a characteristically deadpan performance from lead Vernon, who delivers such choice lines as "I'm so hungry I could eat a whore". Vegetarians need not apply!

  Now I must warn you, the cover of the old DVD release touted this film as "The worst horror movie ever made".   So going into this film, I was kind of expecting a "so bad, it's good" type of experience.  Well, I am proud to say that is exactly what I got.   I would definitely not consider this the worst horror movie ever made, I have seen far worse for sure!  That being said, it was pretty bad over all, but it was also extremely fun and  full of character. The dialog is pretty cheesy, and the blood/gore is pretty fake looking, but that is all part of the charm that this film displays. 

The film reminded me of a cross between a Troma film and a Herschell Gordon Lewis film.  If you are fans of those type of movies, you will love this one.   This movie was so much fun, I definitely see myself watching it again in the near future.  This is a must have for cheesy B-grade (or maybe even C-grade) horror!   

 MICROWAVE MASSACRE will be available on 8/16 and will contain the following special features:

*  Brand new 2K restoration of the original camera negative
*  High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
*  Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
*  Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
*  Brand new audio commentary with writer-producer Craig Muckler moderated by Mike Tristano
*  Brand new making-of featurette including interviews with Muckler, director Wayne Berwick and actor Loren Schein
*  Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork to be revealed
*  First pressing only: fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Nightmare USA author Stephen Thrower


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack


http://mvdb2b.com/?site_id=mvdv&date=

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/
 



No comments:

Post a Comment