Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blu-ray Review: WE ARE THE FLESH (2016)


https://mvdb2b.com/s/WeAreTheFlesh/AV077WE ARE THE FLESH
Written & Directed by
Distributed by Arrow Films / MVD Entertainment Group

  I have seen some strange movies in my life, but WE ARE THE FLESH ranks up there
near the top for sure.   This is one of the newest releases from Arrow Video, who always puts out great films and a quality product, so I went into this one hoping for an amazing experience.  I knew nothing about this film, in fact, I had never even heard of it before.   I was hoping for a new, modern day classic....instead, I got a crazy piece of cinema that I am still not sure exactly what to think of it.  Here is the basic plot courtesy of the MVD website:

  A visionary and bizarre slice of Mexican arthouse cinema, We Are The Flesh is an extraordinary and unsettling film experience, a sexually charged and nightmarish journey into an otherworldly dimension of carnal desire and excess, as well as a powerful allegory on the corrupting power of human desire. A young brother and sister, roaming an apocalyptic city, take refuge in the dilapidated lair of a strange hermit. He puts them to work building a bizarre cavernous structure, where he acts out his insane and depraved fantasies. Trapped in this maddening womb-like world under his malign influence, they find themselves sinking into the realms of dark and forbidden behaviour. Mixing the graphic, powerful imagery of Gaspar Noe's Love and Enter The Void with the surreal, hallucinatory impact of Alejandro Jodorowsky, We Are The Flesh is a bizarre, psychedelic head trip, mixing intense, outrageously explicit imagery with a profound allegory on the nature of existence, to make this an unforgettable, boundary-pushing experience unlike anything you've ever seen.

  Now I will start off by saying this film is extremely well made.  It has some amazing visuals and scenery in the film.   It contains some amazing camera shots and looks like a much bigger budget film than it probably actually was.  That being, said, I honestly have no clue what was going on most of the time during this film.  The plot is very simple, yet very complicated at the same time...if that makes any sense.   There are basically only three actors in the film, and all the "action" takes place in this guy's underground hideout.  So while that's basically the plot, so much stuff happens down in the hideout that it's hard to keep up with.  I honestly don't know what was going on or why.  At one point, the man was having the guy and girl have sex while he watched and pleasured himself as he watched.  I have no clue what this was for, other than sheer shock value, as the film didn't just imply this was happening, but it graphically showed it.
 
  After the man climaxes, he dies...but a little while later he is reborn from a womb like structure down in his cave.  This isn't a figurative re-birth...he literally falls out of a womb in the wall, coming out naked and covered with slime.  Hey, I told you it was weird!    Now I'm sure this is some genius inspirational symbolism for something that went way over my head, but to me it was just flat out weird.  

  I wouldn't say this was a bad film by any means, as it was extremely well made and acted.  I was really impressed that this was the director's first feature length film, so that tells me a lot about this director and the talent he has for future films.  I just felt like this movie was made mainly for the shock factor (graphic sex scene) and to me, it is not one that I would want to re-visit any time soon. 
Now, that being said, remember that this is my opinion and you might love this film.  In fact, I read a few reviews online to see what most people thought of this film, and some people just loved it and deemed it an instant cult classic, while others were kind of on the fence about it (like me) and then some just hated it.   It is really a film you need to watch for yourself and make your own opinion of.

  WE ARE THE FLESH is available now on DVD and Blu-ray from Arrow Films and is being distributed in the U.S. by MVD Entertainment.   Special Features include the following:


*  New interviews with director Emiliano Rocha Minter and cast members Noé Hernández, María Evoli and Diego Gamaliel
*  A new video essay by critic Virginie Sélavy
*  Original theatrical trailer
*  Two short films by Emiliano Rocha Minter; Dentro and Videohome
*  Stills gallery
*  High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
*  5.1 surround and uncompressed stereo 2.0 audio options
*  FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Anton Bitel, and a note from the producer on the film
*  Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
*  Optional English subtitles
 
 

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD


http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/

https://mvdb2b.com/?site_id=mvdv&date=






No comments:

Post a Comment